Today’s customers are extremely advanced, and they have no patience for poorly-designed sites. More than ever before, web design has become a necessity. From responsive mobile sites to the colors that most appeal to and retain visitors, web design is essential for success.
sThe 3 Categories of Web Design:
- Graphic Design & Content
- Sales & Customer Acquisition
Graphic Design & Content
With so many templates and tools to create a website, many are inclined to forego the professional work and go with a homemade, quickly designed, less expensive (up-front) solution.
What these people don’t account for are the design and content nuances that will make or break the visitors’ experience.
Graphic Design Stats:
- Visitors need to know about you and your company in 10 seconds or less, or they will leave your site (NN Group)
Most site visitors will look at a website in an “F-shaped” pattern: top navigation from left to right, body copy from left to right, and left column from top to bottom.
- A site visitor will form an opinion .05 seconds after a page has loaded.
- Site visitors prefer visual content, like videos.
- When scanning text, 70% of people look at bulleted lists. Case in point, you’re looking at this one.
- Dark colors like green, blue, and purple are preferred to light colors and result in a 2% growth from more traffic, page views, and visitor time on the site.
- 94% of site visitors state that bad design is the main reason they mistrust a website.
Programming is extremely important, because it’s the smallest of details that affect your site’s performance. Being able to build a templated website is one thing, but transforming that site into a beacon for potential customers is a whole new challenge.
Without visibility, a site might as well not exist. Therefore, it’s imperative to work with a web design firm that will focus on search engine optimization (SEO), responsive web design (RWD), and use HTML 5, which, among other things, supports the latest multimedia. Given the importance of mobile devices in our lives and our preference for visual content, it is no surprise that site visitors expect the same experiences on their desktops as they do on their phones.
- People using their mobile devices to view websites make up about 27% of users.
- 48% of visitors to a business’s mobile website will leave if it is not working well because they say it’s an indication that the business does not care.
- 62% of companies that created mobile-friendly sites (using RWD) increased their sales.
Sites that are created with HTML 5 are responsible for 49% of page views.
Sales & Customer Acquisition
It’s hard enough getting customers to come to your website; the last thing you want to do is give them a reason to leave. But that’s exactly what they’ll do if they can’t access the information they need quickly enough. Plus once they leave, they’re generally gone for good.
Sales and Customer Acquisition Stats:
- 40% of people will leave a web page if load time is greater than 3 seconds.
- When a page takes more than 4 seconds to load, the bounce rate jumps to 100%.
- Following a bad experience, 88% of site visitors are less likely to return.
There’s a lot more to a site than a template and some nice graphics. Your target audience gives you 3 seconds to provide them with the information they need, and if you don’t give them what they’re looking for, they may never return. Can you deliver?