Google is a force in the way we gather information. It has dominated the search engine industry for so long that the name has become synonymous with looking something up online. Google handles 3.5 billion searches a day, and that volume means that it has a huge influence over companies on the global, national, and local level.
So unsurprisingly, well-executed search engine optimization is crucial for just about any business that wants success in the digital space.
Today, if you searched “air conditioning companies Gainesville, Florida,” your search results page would probably have ads at the top and then a map with pins of all the companies registered in the Gainesville area. You could click on their names and read their reviews, helping you choose which companies you’d want to work with.
Google started offering a platform for local businesses to register with Google in 2012 with Google+ Local and in 2014 launched Google My Business. Those platforms have positioned Google as one of the top resources for local reviews and lead generation for local businesses.
Now Google is extending its reach even farther with a new idea: Google Guarantee.
What Is a Google Guarantee?
The Google Guarantee is an addition to a company’s Google My Business where Google generates a badge that says they guarantee your work.
If someone books a job through Google, and they are unhappy with the work of a company with the Google Guarantee, Google will cover the amount of the invoice up to $2,000.
Google is currently testing this in select areas around the country in an effort to crack down on fraudulent claims by home services providers.
Why You Should Want a Google Guarantee
The Google Guarantee is innovative and likely the next step in Google’s local listings. It should have a huge impact on companies offering home services.
Google is already a major influencer for local businesses through its review system (84% of people trust online reviews just as much as the word of their friends), and now Google is offering to reimburse potential customers if they’re unhappy with the company they work with.
With Google offering an extra layer of security to potential customers, it’s unlikely that companies without the Guarantee will be able to compete.
How Do You Get the Guarantee?
The process of receiving a guarantee is fairly straightforward. If you operate in an area that offers the Google Guarantee for your service industry, you can apply by taking the following steps:
- Create a Google My Business Listing if you don’t currently have one.
- Click on Google’s Advanced Verification Section.
- Enter your business information, including hours, services provided, service area, name, address, and phone number.
- Enter your business’s license number.
- Complete advanced registration with Pinkerton, which Google has partnered with.
The Guarantee is Currently Available in Select Areas for Select Services
While Google doesn’t currently list out the areas in which local service ads with their guarantee is available, Whitespark has put together the following list:
- San Francisco Bay Area – Locksmiths, Plumbers, House Cleaners, Handyman, General Contractors, Electricians, HVAC Contractors, Painters, Overhead Door, Auto Glass Repair, Roadside Assistance
- Sacramento – HVAC Contractors, Plumbers, Electricians, Locksmiths, Auto Glass Repair, General Contractors, Roadside Assistance, House Cleaners, Handyman, Painters, Overhead Door
- Stockton – HVAC Contractors, Plumbers
- Philadelphia – Plumbers, HVAC Contractors, Electricians, Locksmiths
- Atlanta – plumbers, HVAC Contractors, Electricians, Locksmiths, Overhead Door
- Phoenix – Plumbers, HVAC Contractors, electricians, Locksmiths, overhead door
- Seattle – Plumbers, HVAC Contractors, Electricians, Locksmiths, Overhead Door
- Los Angeles – HVAC Contractors, Electricians, Overhead Door, Plumbers, Locksmiths
- San Diego – HVAC Contractors, Electricians, Overhead Door, Towing, Auto Glass, Plumbers, Locksmiths
While this list is thorough, it may not be completely up-to-date. If you want to run ads with the Google Guarantee, you can check with Google directly.
Stay Up-to-Date with PHOS
We’re watching for updates on the Google Guarantee closely because we feel that it can have a huge effect on the success of local service providers. So we’ll be providing all the information you need right here on this page as we learn more.
If you have further questions about how the Google Guarantee may affect your ability to generate leads, get in touch with us about the wide range of SEO services we offer to help businesses stand out online.